According to the National Eczema Association, millions of children suffer from eczema each year.
Eczema is an overall name used to describe conditions that cause skin inflammation, redness, and itchiness.
There are different types of eczema with the most common ones including contact, seborrheic and dyshidrotic eczema. Atopic dermatitis, another name for eczema, usually appears in children aged between six months and 5 years.
Differences between Eczema and Atopic Dermatitis
As mentioned earlier, eczema is a term used to describe a group of skin conditions characterized by inflamed, dry and itchy patches.
Atopic dermatitis is arguably the most common type of eczema. In the United States alone, up to 13 percent of children aged below 18 years have suffered an eczema flare up.
Atop dermatitis is a chronic inflammation of the skin believed to be caused by the immune system’s overreaction to internal and/or external triggers.
As your child gets older, their eczema may morph out very differently. As such, parents need to be clear about the exact type of eczema their child has, understand the symptoms, and identify triggers to be able to manage this condition effectively. A doctor is the only person who can help you understand your child’s eczema.
Eczema is not contagious and although there is no cure, this condition is entirely treatable. Common treatments include over the counter medicines, topical medicines prescribed by a doctor, immunosuppressant, and light therapy.
Causes of Eczema in Children
What causes eczema is still unknown. However, studies continue to show that environmental factors, as well as genetics, can predispose a child to eczema flare-ups.
A family history of asthma, hay fever, dermatitis or eczema can also increase a child’s risk of having eczema.
Winter brings with it dry air and this can also trigger an eczema flare-up. Among infants, drooling can cause itchiness around the neck and cheeks.
How Eczema Looks in Infants and Toddlers
Older children may display different types of eczema from younger ones. As a child grows, the nature and even location of their eczema usually changes.
In the first six months of a child's life, eczema typically appears on the scalp, forehead, face, cheeks, and chin. The child's skin will typically appear red and weepy.
Among babies aged between 6 and 12 months, eczema may appear in areas that are prone to rubbing such as the knees and elbows. In extreme cases where the skin becomes infected, a yellowish pus crust may form on the affected area.
Among toddlers aged between two and five years, eczema commonly occurs on the face as red itchy bumps. Atopic dermatitis may also appear around the knee or elbow crease, hands, ankles, and wrists. Other commonly affected areas are the eyelids and mouth.
Severe eczema in toddlers may appear scaly, thick and with deep lines.
Children aged five years and above usually have eczema flare-ups around the knees or elbow creases, or on their hands. Look out for itchy red patches on the scalp, feet or ears.
By understanding your child’s triggers and symptoms you are better placed to manage their eczema.
Natural Products to Help Control Eczema in Children
For Instant Relief
To be used on body and face, this natural product provides fast relief and even be used for bug bites and diaper rashes!
- LESS CRYING, MORE SMILING! Turn that frown upside down and that red, irritated skin into the beautiful, soft baby skin we all envy. Our cream can soothe itchy skin, diaper rash, cradle cap, bug bites, and more!
- STOP ECZEMA IN ITS TRACKS. Give your baby the relief that's desperately needed. Our potent formula can give just that, immediately and long-term, anywhere on the body. Handle baby's itching and burning quickly and easily; because when baby feels relief, so does mom.
- SAFETY FIRST. Heal your baby's skin without having to worry, because we keep the junk out of all our products. You will find no harmful chemicals, irritants, or fillers here. Our cream does its job both well and safely.
- QUALITY YOU CAN TRUST. We believe that you and your baby deserve only the best. That's why, at Elizabeth Parker Naturals, we use exclusively organic and natural food-grade ingredients, like manuka honey, aloe vera, cehami, coconut oil, cocoa butter, blue-green algae, and many more! These superfoods infuse your baby's skin with all the nutrients needed to heal, leaving it healthier than ever before.
- YOUR SATISFACTION GUARANTEED. You and your baby's health and happiness are our number one priority. If for any reason you are not satisfied, just let us know! We offer a 60-day money back guarantee.
Bath Time Replenisher
A baby's dry skin best replenishes in a soothing bath. Add this oil to the tub or apply it to the rash after the bath for best results.
- 4 ounce bottle of 100% natural bath and body oil
- Natural lemon oil energizes and refreshes
- Sweet almond oil and vitamin E, known for their skin soothing and moisturizing properties
- Natural bath oil is like baby oil for adults
- Add to a warm bath or apply to damp skin
Helping to strengthen a weakened moisture barrier, this calming lotion takes care of itches and moisturizes dry skin while being fragrance and paraben-free.
- Soothes, replenishes and protects very dry and eczema-prone skin for long-lasting relief
- Unique combination of patented ceramide and Filaggrin technology is clinically proven to help strengthen skin's protective layer
- Soap free, fragrance free, paraben free, and hypoallergenic
- Relieves symptoms associated with Eczema, atopic dermatitis, contact dermatitis, and cradle cap
- Safe even for babies as young as three months
Hair Care and Body Wash
This organically-made, gluten-free Shampoo & Bodywash is made of Oatmeal and helps ease the irritation of baby's skin condition. This shampoo AND bodywash packs the double punch and takes care of cracked skin.
Recommended for Laundry
With a neutral pH balance, this detergent removes stains but is also gentle to Baby's skin. Allergies are a very common cause for Eczema. Changing to hypoallergenic laundry product without any harsh chemicals might just be the solution for children's relief.
- Mama Bear Gentle-Care Baby Laundry Detergent is designed for your growing cub
- A smart product choice at just $0.22 per load
- Specially formulated for baby laundry, rinses clean
- Powerful stain-fighting enzymes are tough on baby food stains, 4x concentrated formula
- Created for sensitive skin; Free of phthalates, dyes, and artificial scents
A plant-based product with ingredients that prevent water loss in the skin.
- Safely and gently cleans your baby's face and body, while protecting it and leaving it feeling soft and comfortable.
- Specifically designed for babies and children with eczema-prone skin.
- Recognized by the National Eczema Association and clinically tested on eczema-prone skin under pediatric and dermatological control.
- Paraben, Phthalate and Phenoxyethanol free; Hypoallergenic.
Lock in That Moisture
This product that can be used on anything from eczema to bug bites and cuts. Glycerin and Panthenol make this ointment so effective in moisturizing, nourishing and protecting the skin. For swift eczema relief, apply this soothing mixture over a layer of avocado oil.
- #1 Dermatologist recommended for dry, cracked skin, chapped lips, cracked cuticles and dry feet and heels*
- Clinically proven to restore smooth, healthy skin. Preservative & fragrance free
- Uniquely formulated with 41% Petrolatum to allow oxygen to flow and help heal the skin
- Skin protectant ointment with Panthenol and Glycerin to moisturize, nourish and protect the skin to enhance healing.Protects and helps relieve chapped, dry, cracked or irritated skin and lips
- Protects skin from drying effects of wind and cold weather
While eczema does affect many children, up to 65% of them usually grow out of it by age seven. Don’t wait for eczema to spread or worsen before seeing a doctor—the longer you wait, the harder it becomes to treat.