There is no denying that saunas are incredibly relaxing but they also offer great health benefits such as skin purification and detoxifying the body.
While you will come across different types of saunas, one type has become particularly popular for use at home and health spas. This is the infrared sauna.
As the name implies, infrared saunas use infrared heaters instead of traditional sources of heat to heat up the room. Compared to traditional saunas, infrared saunas warm up the body faster and they are less dangerous.
Infrared light penetrates into the deeper layers of the skin. This offers many benefits including healing the dermis and epidermis layers of the skin. Heat from infrared promotes collagen production and improves skin tone. It isn’t surprising that people increasingly prefer infrared saunas over the traditional types.
How to choose an affordable, good quality sauna
There are different types of saunas but what differentiates them is the emitter i.e. some come with a ceramic emitter while others have a carbon type.
Both types of saunas are effective but the difference is in the size of the heater and the amount of heat emitted.
When both types of emitters are taken into consideration, the carbon emitter comes out a clear winner. Carbon emitters spread heat more evenly compared to the ceramic type. This way, the entire sauna is well heated and the heat is able to penetrate your body evenly.
Ceramic emitters are divided into incoloy and solid emitters. Incoloy is not purely ceramic; it is a substance covered in ceramic. It is best to avoid incoloy due to its generally low quality.Solid ceramic emitters come with a convex-shaped solid heater. If you want to build your own sauna, it might be easier to fit your sauna with a ceramic emitter.
The downside of solid ceramic emitters is that they tend to be small and the emission of heat is localized. To optimize comfort with this type of emitter, move the backrest at least four inches away from the heater; coming too close to the heater may cause discomfort due to the localized nature of the emitter.
If you opt to build a large sauna, you would need to install several ceramic emitters due to the emitters’ smaller size.
Compared to ceramic emitters, carbon emitters have a larger surface area. As such, they tend to be cooler on the surface and they warm the body more evenly.
The large surface area and cool surface temperature means that you can enjoy the heat of the sauna without burning. Also, the sauna will be uniformly warmed.
Infrared v. Traditional Saunas
The main difference between traditional and infrared saunas is the way each of these saunas is heated up. Variation in the method of heat production means that the intensity of heat within the sauna varies too.
Temperatures in traditional saunas range between 185 and 195 degrees Fahrenheit. These temperatures are usually too high for people who cannot withstand too much heat.
On the other hand, infrared saunas have lower temperatures ranging between 120 and 150 degrees Fahrenheit. But, just because these temperatures are significantly lower does not mean that infrareds saunas are not as effective as the traditional types.
The biggest advantage of infrared saunas is that the heat produced by the unit penetrates deeper into the body, causing the body to sweat more even at these relatively low temperatures.
Source: Fix.com Blog
Compared to infrared saunas, traditional saunas consume more power. Typically, a traditional sauna can use as much as 6Kw compared to just 1.6kW of power consumed by the infrared type.
In other words, it costs about three times more to operate a traditional sauna compared to an infrared sauna. Obviously, if you use your sauna regularly, you can see how the costs quickly add up.
The time it takes to heat up the sauna really matter, especially if you consider power consumption. A traditional sauna can take up to 30 minutes to heat up while an infrared one warms up within just 10-20 minutes depending on the size of the unit.
Putting together an infrared sauna unit takes around two hours. This type of unit is made of prefabricated panels that can be screwed or fitted together easily.
On the other hand, you might need to set aside a couple of days to assemble a traditional sauna. Some traditional saunas come as fabricated units but these still take a considerable amount of time to build compared to the infrared type.
If you have decided to purchase an infrared sauna, we have reviewed for you some of the best home saunas.
Far Infrared Saunas
Far infrared is a spectrum on the infrared electromagnetic radiation and is often categorized as radiation with a wavelength of 15µm to 1mm.
Saunas that use far infrared light have several benefits and are among the best saunas available.This type of sauna creates radiant heat energy that penetrates deep into the body in a way that is not possible with the traditional sauna.
Radiant heat offers several health benefits including relieving joint pain, reducing muscle stiffness, and relaxing store muscles. Radiant heat can also promote weight loss and alleviate the effects of skin conditions such as cellulite, acne, eczema, psoriasis etc.
By promoting natural sweating, dry radiant heat aids in detoxifying the body of toxins such as nicotine, cholesterol, alcohol, sodium, as well as potentially carcinogenic heavy metals.
An added benefit of far infrared saunas is the relatively low temperatures that are more tolerable than traditional saunas. These benefits can be enjoyed within a relaxing environment that is accommodating even to those with physical limitations or respiratory problems.
Recommended Far Infrared Saunas
If you are looking for good-quality far infrared saunas, check out these:
- SOOTHING WARMTH – FAR infrared heat surrounds your body, thanks to three low-EMF carbon heating panels. Each heater is precisely placed for even, steady heat.
- 1 MINUTE SET-UP – Six, easy steps convert this handy device into a personal paradise. Simply unfold the sauna, plug it in, and enjoy nourishing warmth in any location. When you’re finished, this space-saving, personal sauna easily contracts for storage.
- RELAX ANYWHERE – This portable sauna is easy to take on the go. A collapsible design conveniently folds for transport or storage. Its moisture-resistant fabric allows for outdoor use, making it a perfect addition to your deck or campsite.
- CANVAS SEATING – Foldable chairs are included with this feature-rich sauna. It also comes with a comfortable collar, sewn-in pockets for books or devices, a relaxing foot pad, and a convenient, hand-held control.
- ONE-YEAR WARRANTY – Your sauna comes with a one-year manufacturer warranty. Your item will arrive damage free with all necessary parts and accessories. If something goes wrong, we'll work tirelessly until you're satisfied with your sauna.
- PERSONAL SAUNA: Can’t get to the spa but want to experience the benefits of sauna therapy? No problem This indoor sauna kit comes with everything you need to get your sauna on in the comfort of your own home.
- PORTABLE SAUNA UNIT: Have a mobile beauty spa or want to move your sauna dome from one room to another? Our infrared sauna is conveniently portable. You can pick it up or pack it up when need.
- ENJOY AND RELAX: Use this sauna to relax after a day of work, while reading books, listening to music, play on your mobile phone, watch movies and so on.
- INCLUDES SAUNA CHAIR: While other saunas require you to build your own sauna room using your own stool or chair, our portable sauna comes with a comfortable (and foldable) sauna chair.
- SAVE MONEY ON BEAUTY SALON : The full size sauna room can service for a long time and save your money to pay to beauty salon shop.
- Relieves symptoms of inflammation, arthritis, lyme, lupus, fibromyalgia.
- Strengthen Immune System to help eliminate pathogens, bacteria
- Improve health, eliminate pain, Detox, improve circulation, EMF antidote
- Chronic conditions, release heavy metals, PMS, better skin, blood pressure, Highest quality far infrared sauna experience available
- Free US Shipping w/ tracking, EASY to set up & use. International shipping includes custom wiring and the correct electrical plug for your country
- This item will be delivered curbside. To have the item delivered to a location of choice on your property, kindly make additional arrangements with a third party provider ahead of delivery
- 6 Dynamic Low EMF FAR Infrared Carbon heating panels 2 on the rear wall 1 on each side wall 1 under the bench and 1 on the floor board
- Full 2 person capacity
- Natural Reforested Canadian Hemlock wood construction
- 6mm Interior and Exterior wood planks with a 1.13 inch inner frame
- High Quality Material:Made using high-quality PU material on the outside and a waterproof PVC interior, this blanket provides both durability and optimal comfort.
- Operating Principle: When using the sauna blanket, the far infrared ray can penetrate the skin, the deep thermal effect of the subcutaneous tissue will cause blood vessels and capillaries to expand, thereby promoting blood circulation and accelerating the body's metabolism, expelling toxins and metabolic waste from the body.
- Safety Design:It will automatically disconnect the line, stop heating, and alarm for one minute once detecting the temperature is over 85 degrees, creating a safe far-infrared heating thermal weight lose.
- Release Your Hands:You can play on your mobile phone, read magazines, and make calls while enjoying the sauna. With your hands fully released, you can do whatever you want.
- Home SPA:You can enjoy a full body sauna with a head cover, enjoy relax spa time after working all day, save your money that go to spa outside, and increase your time to accompany your family.
Carbon Fiber Infrared Saunas
As explained earlier, carbon fiber saunas perform better than ceramic ones. The benefits of carbon fiber infrared saunas include:
- Larger surface area:
More even distribution of heat.
- Lower temperate:
Safer and more tolerable therefore allowing longer sessions to maximize therapeutic benefits.
- Longer infrared wavelengths:
Enables deeper penetration of infrared rays into the skin for optimal health benefits.
- Energy efficient and costs less to operate
Recommended Carbon Fiber Infrared Saunas
- 300 Watt-Infrared Sauna Heater (Carbon Fiber) -120 VAC
- 30" x 22"
- UL Certified
- 120 VAC
- Lifetime Warranty!
- Rejuvenator Portable Far Infrared Carbon Fiber Sauna - Wired Remote Control - Max Heat 140 Degrees
- Heating Panels FIR carbon fiber heating panels and Infrared Heated Foot Pad
- Weight Loss - Burns 600+ Calories in 30 minutes - Spasms, Backaches and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFIDS, CFS)
- Pain Relief - Arthritis, Fibromyalgia, Sports Injuries, Muscle - Reduces Stress - Relieves Hypertension - Relaxes Muscles and Nerves
- Improves Blood Circulation - Lowers High Blood Pressure
- FAR INFRARED SAUNA BLANKET - Healthy weight loss and detoxification, relax your body, relieve physical fatigue. Far infrared sauna blanket thermal body slimming device, easy to solve the life problems caused by obesity, tighten skin, promote better body circulation and helping to get rid of body toxins and metabolic waste.
- SAFETY, ENERGY SAVING, EFFECTIVE - 25 ° C ~ 80 ° C adjustable temperature, Exclusive heat releases with 9~16μm infrared rays, simple operation, easy to use. Independent three-temperature zone design, can independently adjust the temperature of each temperature zone, better effect.
- LARGE SPACE DESIGN - The sweating blanketis designed with Velcro, the widthcan be adjusted freely from 70-90cm, which can be used byboth fat and thin customers.
- WATERPROOF MATERIAL - The body shaping blanket is made of imported nylon cloth on the outside and waterproof Oxford cloth on the inside. Flexibility tensile capabilities even in various sleeping position.
- APPLICATION SCOPE AND CROWD - Sauna blanket usable everywhere, such as beauty salon, health club, leisure club and family. Love beauty lady, Sub-health crowd, The fat people. You can take and use the sauna blanket at home at any time.Convenient for storage,
Infrared saunas are fast becoming an excellent choice for those looking for good quality saunas that provide optimal therapeutic health benefits.
This type of sauna is not only less dangerous than the traditional type; it also warms up the body faster and more evenly.
There are different types of infrared saunas on the market but before buying any one of these, consider factors such as your budget, sauna safety, and personal needs such as the size of your family and the available space indoors or outdoors.