Mango fruits are not only common but are enjoyed by many people globally. However, what may come as a big surprise to many is the fact that the rind of fresh mangoes harbors allergens—urushiol –similar to those found in poison oak or poison ivy.
For some people, therefore, consuming fresh mangoes can cause oral dermatitis. Generally, this rare and its severity varies from one individual to another.
While in some cases it can be mild that you may choose to self-treat, other mango allergies can be dangerous. This is why it is important to be aware of potential treatment approaches that you can resort to in case you get a mango mouth.
Top Treatment Options for Mango Mouth
Avoiding touching or eating mangoes is the best way of preventing allergic reactions. People who are allergic to mangoes should, therefore, use gloves and other protective equipment when handling mangoes. In particular, it is advisable to avoid the sap as it contains a higher concentration of the urushiol.
If you have already consumed the fruit knowingly or unknowingly, then you should consider going for medication or opt for alternative treatment options. These include:
- Over-the-counter antihistamine and oral Steroids: These are some of the most common treatment options for mango allergy, and will work within 10 minutes.
- Cortisone cream: The cream will help you get rid of the condition but ensure that you contact a local allergist before using the cream.
- Honey: Apply honey on the affected area or drink a glass of water containing with about one teaspoon of honey. Honey has excellent anti-inflammatory properties and will clear or soothe the allergic symptoms.
- Soap and Toothpaste: Wash the affected area with soap or toothpaste for about 10 minutes after exposure to urushiol.
- Vinegar: Soak a kitchen towel or cotton wool in vinegar and hold it on the affected areas for a few minutes. Repeat the procedure several times a day. Urushiol is alkaline and since vinegar is acidic, applying it on the affected areas will neutralize its effects.
- Hydrogen Peroxide: soak a kitchen towel in hydrogen peroxide and apply it to the affected area. Repeat several times a day for faster results.
- Clean water: You can also moisten the exposed areas with clean water several times a day.
- Common Nettle: this is an herbaceous perennial flowering plant that’s native to Europe, Northern Africa, Asia, and North America. The herb counteracts histamine produced as a result of the allergic reaction.
Despite the fact that mango allergy is quite rare, you should find a quick remedy if you suffer from it. The above-highlighted treatment options will help you get rid of the allergy. However, if the symptoms persist for 1 or 2 weeks after using any of the treatment options, it is best to consult with a local physician.
The good news is that people who are allergic to mangoes can enjoy them in other forms. For instance, you can eat desserts or drink smoothies that are flavored or stuffed with mangoes.